another great article on New Year Resolution from ThirdAge :)
For those of you who aren't in need or ready to address concerns like these, but would like some assistance on modifying the more mundane behaviors, I offer you the following pointers if you really want to be successful:
- Take the behavior you want to change and break it down into sub-goals. When you set your goal as a too lofty one, it will be too challenging.
- When you reach your mini-goal, reinforce yourself and then move on to your next sub-goal.
- Let significant others know you are trying to make a change. Support and accountability will help.
- Change is never a totally upward process; rather, it is a spiral. So expect there to be setbacks. When one occurs, you will be prepared for it and be able to continue the process rather than giving up.
- Know that it takes 21 days for a new behavior to become a habit.
So, you're on your way to a good start. I forgot one very important thing -- always believe in Yourself!
Always believe in yourself!