CozyCot Ads

Monday, January 18, 2010

Experimental Baking and Lunch for today



Today I decided to boil some spagetti for lunch. Here's a picture.

I put in a piece of pork (from Shop and Save, where I frequent for groceries). For garnish, I put in garlic and vinegar. It is a bit bland but that is the way I like it.



And while waiting for the water to boil (before I put in the spagetti), I decided to try to make some scones with a sweeter taste than the Irish Scone I made previously (Read here).

I took out a cup of flour, put in half a teaspoon of baking soda, half a teaspoon of salt and added in 2 tablespoons of brown sugar (this is the extra ingredient). Also stirred in a cup of yogurt, to replace buttermilk.

I was thinking, isn't buttermilk yogurt? I remembered reading that buttermilk can be replaced by adding vinegar to normal milk and letting it sit before you get the correct texture.

Well, going by that texture theory, I believe yogurt can be used. Did a search and seems like buttermilk, yogurt and sour milk are interchangeable for baking purpose.

When I put in the yogurt, I realised that the powder mixture just does not gel with the yogurt. Hence I added in water. I just took from the tap and I think it must be about 1 cup of water or so.

After baking at 220 degree celsius for 10minutes, this is the result. If you want to know, I had pre-heat the oven with the convec function for 1minute at 220 degree celsius. This creates a nice browning effect.

 

The result looks nice, feels nice and is sweet. Too sweet for my personal liking. It is also abit too chewy and does not taste like scone. I think I need to reduce the baking soda and also lengthen the baking time.

But hey, I am mastering the ingredients portion on my own!

The secret:

1 cup of flour : 1 cup of milk/yogurt
1 cup of flour : 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder (or slightly lesser)
1 cup of flour : 1/2 teaspoon of salt (or slightly lesser)

Thus the minimum ratio I believe is:

1 cup of carbohydrates : 1 cup of protein : 1/2 teaspoon of baking power : 1/2 teaspoon of salt
(form : texture : texture : taste)

Hope that this helps if you cannot find or remember the exact amount of ingredients you need for baking. I do not like to go according to the recipe and thus am finding ways to cut away the memorizing!


*Lynspirations
Baking is fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

thQnk :)

Dreamstime

CozyCot Adv

Subscribe Now: standard