CozyCot Ads

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Heard of the Furminator?

I first heard of the Furminator (aka Fur Terminator) 5 years back. It is meant to remove the undercoat of animals. I got one to remove the undercoat of my darlings.

But today I used another product on my darlings. This is a lighter version and I bought it because it is equally simple to use.

This is the undercoat from my Darling No 2 and Darling No 3.


The lot you see is actually about half the size of a regular newspaper! 





And this is the product. I call it Rolling Knife.



This rolling knife is less threatening to my dogs somehow ;p


Well I surfed around and found some that alot of pet owners are persuaded to use Furminators  because they found shedding a problem.

Cause of Shedding
There are 4 main causes: Poor grooming and brushing, Diet, Skin Parasits and Stress.

1) Poor grooming and brushing

Brushing a dog daily is important to control the shedding. The correct equipment or brushes must be used to effectively remove dead or unwanted hair. The logic is the same as human hair. If you have long hair, a small comb will not work for you.

Regular bathing is also important to keep the cleanliness of the skin. Poor skin hygiene will affect the fur and is also a cause of excessive shedding.

2) Diet

A balanced diet for the dog is also important to reduce excess shedding. Multi-vitamin and quality dog food may work wonders to improve the general health state. Personally I give my dogs Nupro.

Providing a dog multi-vitamin and a high-quality dog food can lead to significant improvements in terms of general health and it can stop shedding if the dog is suffering from dry, flaky skin, a dull coat and excess shedding.

3) Skin parasites

Dry, flaky skin with rashes or bald spots warrants a visit to the veterinarian. Fortunately my darlings have never gotten this before (and I hope never ever). I do put abit of garlic in their food. Just a little so that parasites like ticks will go away.

Certain skin parasites like sarcoptic mange and ringworm will require a prescription. Food allergies and dermatitis can also cause a dog's skin problems, so you as a pet owner will need to watch over them.

4) Stress

Stress, fear and anxiety experienced on a daily basis can lead to excessive shedding. Under no circumstances should fear ever be a regular event in a dog’s life. I definitely do not stand abuse to pets.

Unavoidable stress such as separation anxiety may occur. In this instance the owner should provide sufficient activity for the dog as well as providing enough exercise to relieve the stress.

Similar to humans, dogs who regularly experience anxiety and stress will fall ill easily as they are more susceptible to health problems. Stress taxes the immune system.

A remedy may  be worked out by an experienced dog trainer or a veterinarian.

How I deal with it


I always try to take the short cut or easy way out.

Combing them every other day is a must, if not daily.

I bath my Darlings once a week and I try to express their anal glands during bathing.

Every 2 weeks or so I will cut their nails and trim their paw furs with the Le Salon Signature Cat Nail Clipper With Light - Le Salon 50315. Monthly or when I deem necessary, I removing their undercoat


I also used different types of combs for them.

I got the Pin Brushes, Undercoat Rakes (aka Furminator), and the Slicker Brush.


You may want to surf around my blog here.


If you like, please visit my Support page here.

*Lynspirations
Share and learn. Learn and share :)








No comments:

Post a Comment

thQnk :)

Dreamstime

CozyCot Adv

Subscribe Now: standard